Notice: Trying to get property of non-object in /home/stanojim/public_html/wp-content/plugins/pj-news-ticker/pj-news-ticker.php on line 201
Africa Archives - Page 2 of 5 -

The Ebola outbreak in DR Congo showed no signs of easing Friday on the eve of the UN chief’s visit to the country, with the death toll from the highly contagious virus crossing 2,000 and a new fatality in neighbouring Uganda.

The latest casualty in Uganda was a nine-year-old girl from the Democratic Republic of Congo, reviving fears that the virus could cross the porous borders of the central African country, where it erupted in August last year.

DR Congo health officials said late Thursday that there have been “2,006 deaths (1,901 confirmed and 105 probable)” since August 2018. adding that 902 people had been cured.

The toll is a setback coming a day before UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres visits for a first-hand assessment of the fightback.

Guterres wants to “express support for the teams engaged in the Ebola fightback,” the UN said.

More than 200,000 people have been vaccinated during DR Congo’s tenth and most serious Ebola epidemic.

It is the second-worst Ebola outbreak in history after more than 11,000 people were killed in Guinea, Sierra Leone and Liberia between 2014 and 2016.

Containment efforts have been hindered by conflict in eastern DRC as well as attacks on Ebola fighters within affected communities.

“For the moment, the situation is better than the past weeks. But in certain zones, there are many cases of community resistance. These are the zones which have brought forth the most confirmed cases,” Robert Bahidika Nasekwa from Oxfam said.

“As a result, those who came in contact with confirmed cases have not been followed up,” he said.

Jean-Edmond Bwanakawa Masumbuko, the mayor of Beni — a major city which Guterres is due to visit — said some people “had the tendency of viewing Ebola treatment centres as deathtraps.

“Out of the city’s 14 zones, there are only four which continue to pose problems,” he said.

Fourth Uganda death

The nine-year-old girl who tested positive in Uganda after travelling from DR Congo died early Friday, a Ugandan health official told AFP.

“She passed on at around 0800 (0500 GMT) this morning,” said Yusuf Baseka, health director in Kasese, a district in southwestern Uganda along the border with DR Congo.

The child was diagnosed after exhibiting symptoms at a border crossing in Kasese on Wednesday.

She was subsequently isolated and transferred to an Ebola treatment unit.

The girl is the fourth victim diagnosed with Ebola in Uganda, which has been on high alert since last year, to have died from the virus.

In June, three members of a single-family tested positive after entering from DR Congo. Two died in Uganda, while the third succumbed to the disease after returning to DR Congo.

The outbreak of the haemorrhagic virus began in the North Kivu province in eastern DR Congo on August 1, 2018, and spread to the neighbouring Ituri province.

The pathogen causes fever, vomiting and severe diarrhoea, often followed by kidney and liver failure, and internal and external bleeding.

The disease is spread by contact with infected bodily fluids and is fought with the time-honoured but laborious techniques of tracing contacts and quarantining them.

Stepped up checks

The WHO has declared the epidemic a “public health emergency of international concern”.

The virus has also spread to DR Congo’s South Kivu province, which shares a land border with Rwanda and Burundi.

Screening is vital but imperfect.

Ebola can take up to three weeks to incubate and cannot be spread until the infected person has symptoms, the WHO says.

But it can be difficult to clinically tell Ebola from malaria, typhoid fever or meningitis.

Uganda has stepped up checks for hundreds of schoolchildren who cross over from DR Congo every day to attend school there as jobs and educational opportunities are greater.

But it is not without inconvenience.

“Sometimes we get to school late, because we have to be in line for checking and it takes time,” said Doreane Kambari, a 16-year-old attending high school in Bwera in Kasese.

AFP

Ebola Death Toll Crosses 2,000 DR Congo Ahead Of UN chief’s Visit

The Ebola outbreak in DR Congo showed no signs of easing Friday on the eve of the UN chief’s visit … Read more

Operatives of the National Agency for the Prohibition in Trafficking of Persons (NAPTIP) has nabbed a man accused of being involved in kidnapping Ghanaian girls to Nigeria.

According to Nigrian news portal thenationonlineng.net suspect Chika Nnodim is believed to be part of a cross border criminal gang including kidnapping and have been under security watch list of the government of Nigeria and Ghana.

He and two other Nigerians: Samuel Udoetuk Wills and John Oji were alleged to have been involved in the kidnapping of three Ghanaians girls aged between 15 and 21 years.

Victoria ijampy said this in a statement on behalf of the head Press and Public Relations of NAPTIP.

She stated, “Operatives of the National Agency for the prohibition in trafficking of persons NAPTIP have arrested one Chika John Nnodim for alleged involvement in the kidnap of three Ghanaian girls from Ghana to Nigeria. The suspect has also been handed over to the office of the Inspector-General of Police for further investigation.

“The suspects who is believed to be part of a cross border criminal gang including kidnapping and have been under security watch list of the government of Nigeria and Ghana was nabbed by NAPTIP officials after a very painstaking investigation at various locations within Nigeria and Ghana.

“He and two other Nigerians: Samuel Udoetuk Wills and John Oji were alleged to have been involved in the kidnapping of three Ghanaians girls aged between 15 and 21 years.

“The case was reported to the Agency by the Ghana High Commission Abuja in April 2019 alleging the kidnap of their citizens from Ghana to Nigerian. The Agency collaborated with relevant law enforcement Agencies within Nigeria and Ghana in the investigation.

“The case has been transferred to the Inspector-General of Police for further investigation because finding from investigation proved that the case is not human trafficking related but of murder and kidnap.

“When contacted, the Director-General of NAPTIP Dame Julie Okah-Donli expressed displeasure over the activities of the suspects adding that they were promptly handed over to the sister law enforcement Agency to ensure their thorough prosecution.

“She stressed further that the Agency shall continue to collaborate with other relevant Agencies as part of its inter-agencies synergy. The NAPTIP boss warned that there is no hiding place for any criminal in Nigeria irrespective of their status even as she assured of arobust inter-agencies collaborations in the years above. “

Source: Ghanaguardian

Authorities in Nigeria arrest man suspected to be involved in ‘Takoradi girls kidnapping’

Operatives of the National Agency for the Prohibition in Trafficking of Persons (NAPTIP) has nabbed a man accused of being … Read more

“Ayanele was murdered in cold blood by some criminals in his shop in Krugersdorp, Johannesburg, on Tuesday evening.”

A Nigerian has been robbed and killed in South Africa.

President of Nigerian Union South Africa, Adetola Olubajo, made the disclosure on Wednesday, adding that the victim, a 46-year-old man named Obinna Ayanele, hailed from Uruala, Ideato North Local Government Area of Imo State.

He said Ayanele was murdered in cold blood by some criminals in his shop in Krugersdorp, Johannesburg, on Tuesday evening.

The criminals had reportedly attacked Ayanele with the intention of robbing him of his money and wares.

Olubajo said, “With deep sorrow in our hearts, the Nigeria Union South Africa regrets to announce the gruesome murder of another Nigerian, Stanley Ayanele, from Uruala, Ideato North LGA, Imo, aged 46.

“Until his death, he was a small scale business owner, a stockist of petty goods.

“Ayanele was accosted by some criminals at his shop in Krugersdorp, Johannesburg in the evening of August 20, 2019 with the intention of robbing him of his money and wares.

“He was brutally stabbed several times, and they smashed his head with a hammer thereby leaving him in a pool of his blood to bleed to death.’’

Olubajo revealed SAPS crime team later arrested two of the criminals while the third one escaped. 

Nigerian Robbed, Killed In South Africa

“Ayanele was murdered in cold blood by some criminals in his shop in Krugersdorp, Johannesburg, on Tuesday evening.” A Nigerian … Read more

A Kenyan man has been arrested at the international airport in Thailand’s capital, Bangkok, trying to smuggle into the country with 68 capsules of cocaine.

Glenn Chibasellow Ookow had swallowed the capsules that were later found to contain a total of 1.2kg (2.6lb) of cocaine, the Thai drug authorities said.

It as an X-ray showing the objects in the man’s stomach that alerted Thailand’s Office of the Narcotics Control Board (ONCB).

ONCB/AFPCopyright: ONCB/AFP

According to the Thailand’s Nation paper, a Nigerian man, who was also arrested, had allegedly hired the Kenyan to bring in drugs to Thailand and other countries in the region.

“This is part of a drug network in Thailand,” the AFP quotes an ONCB statement as saying.

Mr Ookow, 43, had flown into Bangkok on Monday from Ethiopia, AFP reports.

Niyom Termsrisuk of the ONCB said, the arrests were part of a crackdown on drug trafficking and the authorities had arrested 43 suspects since last October.

A Kenyan man has been arrested at the international airport in Thailand’s capital, Bangkok, trying to smuggle into the country with 68 capsules of cocaine.

Glenn Chibasellow Ookow had swallowed the capsules that were later found to contain a total of 1.2kg (2.6lb) of cocaine, the Thai drug authorities said.

It as an X-ray showing the objects in the man’s stomach that alerted Thailand’s Office of the Narcotics Control Board (ONCB).

ONCB/AFPCopyright: ONCB/AFP

According to the Thailand’s Nation paper, a Nigerian man, who was also arrested, had allegedly hired the Kenyan to bring in drugs to Thailand and other countries in the region.

“This is part of a drug network in Thailand,” the AFP quotes an ONCB statement as saying.

Mr Ookow, 43, had flown into Bangkok on Monday from Ethiopia, AFP reports.

Niyom Termsrisuk of the ONCB said, the arrests were part of a crackdown on drug trafficking and the authorities had arrested 43 suspects since last October.

Kenyan arrested in Thailand with cocaine capsules

A Kenyan man has been arrested at the international airport in Thailand’s capital, Bangkok, trying to smuggle into the country … Read more