Notice: Trying to get property of non-object in /home/stanojim/public_html/wp-content/plugins/pj-news-ticker/pj-news-ticker.php on line 201
Africa Archives -

He said, “Over the past few days, our country has been deeply traumatised and troubled by acts of violence and criminality directed against foreign nationals and our own citizens.

President of South Africa, Cyril Ramaphosa, on Thursday said that 10 persons have so far been killed including two foreigners in the latest violence to hit the country. 

The three-day World Economic Forum, which was supposed to be Co-chaired by Chairman of Zenith Bank, Jim Ovia, was supposed to be an opportunity for Ramaphosa to sell the country’s struggling economy to investors but unchecked killings that climaxed into looting and vandalisation of foreign-owned shops on Sunday, spoilt that plan.

Ramaphosa however, stopped short of naming the nationalities of the slain persons, according to Reuters.

He said, “Over the past few days, our country has been deeply traumatised and troubled by acts of violence and criminality directed against foreign nationals and our own citizens.

“People have lost their lives, families have been traumatised. We know that at least 10 people have been killed in the violence, two of whom were foreign nationals.”

Ramaphosa was forced to cancel his speech at the economic summit Thursday, to address protesting women outside the venue of the conference.

Official voices in the country have begun to shift from their claim that the killings were all about criminal element and not an intentional targeting of foreign elements.z

Xenophobia: South Africa’s President Confirms Death Of 10 Persons

He said, “Over the past few days, our country has been deeply traumatised and troubled by acts of violence and … Read more

The Ministry of Foreign Affairs has says three Ghanaians have been injured in the ongoing xenophobic attacks in South Africa.

The three are currently receiving treatment, a press statement issued by the Ministry on Friday, September 6, 2019, in Accra revealed.
It said five other Ghanaian nationals have also been arrested and detained at the Sunnyside Police Station at Pretoria in relation to resident permits.

Below is a copy of the statement

UPDATE ON SECURITY SITUATION IN SOUTH AFRICA IN THE AFTERMATH OF THE XENOPHOBIC ATTACKS
Further to the Ministry’s Press Release of 3rd September 2019 and in keeping with the decision to appraise the general public on developments on the situation in South Africa, the Ministry of

Foreign Affairs and Regional Integration, hereby, informs that our Mission in Pretoria has reported that three [3) Ghanaians have been injured in the xenophobic unrest. The Mission is ensuring that the injured Ghanaians receive the necessary medical attention.

Our Mission further reports that on 5th September 2019, the South African Security Agencies commenced an exercise to check the resident permits of foreigners residing in Sunnyside, a suburb of Pretoria. It is further reported that so far, five (5) Ghanaian nationals have been arrested and detained at the Sunnyside Police Station. Officials of the High Commission have visited the Police Station to provide consular assistance to the detained Ghanaians and are following up on the matter.

Our Mission continues to send regular updates and advice to the leadership of the Ghanaian Communities in the various South African provinces about the need to remain calm and stay away from crowded places and large gatherings.

The Ministry wishes to urge the good people of this country to remain calm as we seek the interest of our nationals who are caught up in this situation and an end to the unrest.

3 Ghanaians injured in Xenophobic attacks in South Africa

The Ministry of Foreign Affairs has says three Ghanaians have been injured in the ongoing xenophobic attacks in South Africa. … Read more

Abiaziem was killed in Eastern Cape last week allegedly by four South African policemen who were interrogating him in his house.

Following the recent killing of Pius Abiaziem, a Nigerian businessman in South Africa, four policemen have been arrested.

A spokesperson for the Nigerians in Diaspora Commission (NIDCOM), Gabriel Odu, disclosed in a statement.

In reaction to the arrest, the Chair of NIDCOM, Abike Dabiri-Erewa, urged the South African police to expedite action on the matter.
Dabiri also called for a speed trial of the four policemen and others arrested for various offences committed against Nigerians in South Africa.

Abiaziem was killed in Eastern Cape last week allegedly by four South African policemen who were interrogating him in his house.

South Africa: Four Policemen Arrested Over Killing Of Nigerian

Abiaziem was killed in Eastern Cape last week allegedly by four South African policemen who were interrogating him in his … Read more

The numbers of people who have died in the current Ebola outbreak in the east of the Democratic Republic of Congo has reached the 2,000 mark, government figures show. 
The health authorities have struggled to contain the spread of the virus.

On Thursday, neighbouring Uganda confirmed that a nine-year-old girl with Ebola had crossed the border.

The World Health Organization has called the situation one of the world’s “most complex humanitarian crises”.

This outbreak, in the east of DR Congo, is the second largest on record with the number of cases now exceeding 3,000, according to the government.

The largest was the epidemic that ravaged parts of West Africa from 2014 to 2016, killing more than 11,000 people.

In Uganda, the girl with Ebola was isolated and transferred to an Ebola treatment unit.

Uganda has maintained largely successful screening centres along its border with DR Congo in an effort stop the outbreak crossing the frontier.

Congolese health workers prepare to administer Ebola vaccinations

Image copyright Reuters The health authorities have been carrying out a vaccination programme
There were two Ebola cases in the country in June. A Ugandan man and his Congolese wife lost two sons after their return from a trip to DR Congo to see relatives

DR Congo Ebola deaths reach 2,000

The numbers of people who have died in the current Ebola outbreak in the east of the Democratic Republic of … Read more